Newsflash: not everybody is the same. Okay, it’s not news. You know this already!
But do you know how to use that fact to keep your team motivated and engaged?
To cater to the different personalities in your team, it’s helpful to divide people into three categories: Action, Feeling or Fun. This makes it easier to ensure that you cater to all three categories of people in your team.
So let’s have a look at these categories:
Action people are often your high achievers. They plan, commit and succeed. However, if you don’t cater to them in your communications and recognition, they will quickly lose interest.
These are the people who need time to reflect. They are considerate of others and often make the most nurturing and welcoming team members.
Your Fun People really show their enthusiasm. They’re often very creative and can provide the social ‘glue’ in a team.
How to cater to your Action, Feeling and Fun people
Suggestions for Action People
- They thrive on recognition. The more public you can make it, the better.
- They love compliments.
- They often thrive on challenges with a deadline.
- Delegate tasks to your Action People, they like being thought of as valuable and important.
- Many Action People like to present to a group, so you could let them help you run a meeting or training.
Suggestions for Feeling People
- Ask them how they feel about doing a task or setting a goal. They typically don’t like to be pushed out of their comfort zone, so respect this.
- When coaching them, keep in mind they need time to reflect.
- Recognize Feeling People for the small things they might think you haven’t noticed.
- They value people so you can help them feel like a valued member of the team by emphasizing their value in helping to welcome and develop new team members.
- Recognize their efforts, not just achievements. For example when you know they’ve stepped out of their comfort zone.
Suggestions for Fun People
- Your Fun People make fabulous ‘social directors’ for the team. Make use of this when organizing special events.
- Fun people are often very creative with their displays, the team will appreciate their ideas.
- Seek help from Fun People in your team to organize food or music at meetings.
- These teamies respond well to a positivity award.
- When working with Fun People, focus on the fun they’ll have as a result of achieving a goal or moving up the career ladder.
With a little thought and attention, you’ll be able to cater to all the different types in your team. It will help you to create an upbeat, positive and inclusive culture in your team where everybody feels valued for who they are. This in turn will help to keep them engaged and motivated in their direct sales biz.